Premier Legal Representation Focused On You

Can I withhold visitation if my ex doesn’t pay child support?

On Behalf of | Mar 22, 2021 | Child Custody |

Getting through a child custody battle can be challenging enough. Dealing with an ex that does pay child support in Texas can be extremely frustrating. The first thing that you may think to do is withhold visitation. According to the law, you may not.

Separate agreements

The law is very separate when it comes to the topics of child support and visitation. While your ex may be violating their court order to pay child support, that doesn’t mean that you can take the law into your own hands. If you withhold visitation that your ex has been granted by the court, you’re violating the law. You cannot legally withhold visitation because your ex is no longer paying child support as they’ve been ordered to do by your child custody order.

You should think about the long-term consequences. Since your ex has visitation rights with your child, your child has been developing a relationship with them. If you all of a sudden cut off that relationship, it can be extremely harmful to the mental well-being of your child. It’s not your child’s fault that your ex isn’t paying child support.

What should you do?

When your ex is not paying child support according to the court order, then it’s time to talk with your local Child Custody Enforcement Office. This office is responsible for taking legal action against your ex to obtain the money that they owe for child support. It’s best to allow this office to be the middleman between you and your ex in regards to child support.

While you may have been granted a court order that entitles you to a certain amount of money each month for child support, that doesn’t always guarantee you the money. Sometimes you may find that your ex isn’t paying their child support payments as they’re supposed to. While you may want to, it’s illegal to withhold visitation from your children until they pay.